How is an Elective Ultrasound Different Than What I Get at My Doctor’s Office?
You’re 18-22 weeks pregnant and the day has finally arrived when you get to see your little miracle during your anatomic ultrasound at the doctor’s office! You squirm in discomfort as you desperately try to hold your overly full bladder you were told was necessary for the appointment. However, the discomfort gets pushed to the back of your mind as you gush over anticipation of getting to find out the sex of the baby, see what he or she looks like, and maybe even catch them sucking their thumb or smiling. You’ve been waiting for this day for what seems like centuries and your expectations are high!
I hate to be the Grinch who stole Christmas, but I am here to tell you your expectations are also unrealistic. Your anatomic ultrasound will not be a “photoshoot” of your baby and you may not even find out the gender.
Here’s what you can expect: during your anatomic ultrasound, the technician or the doctor will be taking measurements and looking for any signs of slower than normal development. They will be checking the vital organs, including the heart and brain, and also the bones such as the spine and skull. Based upon the results of the measurements, the gestational age of the baby will be predicted based upon the average size of other babies scanned during the 20th week of pregnancy. If any abnormalities are found, additional examinations will be scheduled.
Depending on the technician or the doctor, and if you caught them on a “good day,” they may look for the gender of the baby. However, in some cases, the baby may have their legs crossed or be facing away from the abdomen and thus the sexual organs will not be visible. Also, don’t be shocked if you don’t leave with that perfect profile shot that you were hoping to make the new default photo on your Facebook page.
Before you go into prenatal depression, know that all hope isn’t lost! Elective ultrasound facilities like Mother Nurture Ultrasound were established specifically to give you the experience you didn’t get at the doctor’s office. In fact, what we provide is closer to a spa experience/photo shoot of your baby.
Here’s what you can expect:
- A warm and inviting, non-clinical atmosphere
- Bring friends, family, cousins, 2nd cousins, and the in-laws
- Live stream the ultrasound to the friends and family who couldn’t make it or that live out of the state or country
- Kick back, relax on a comfortable bed, and watch the ultrasound on a big screen TV
- Experience the latest 3D/4D and HD technology currently available on the market
- See your baby’s face up close and in amazing detail
- Find out the sex of the baby whether you are 16 weeks along or 39
- Get cool add-ons like heartbeat buddies, CD’s, DVD’s, custom sonography jewelry
- A free 2nd appointment if gender is not visible or quality pictures couldn’t be captured of the baby’s face
- And here’s the BEST part – YOU DON’T NEED A FULL BLADDER….you’re welcome
It is important to know that elective ultrasounds are non-medical and DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, replace the anatomic scan you receive at your doctor’s office. Ultrasound technicians at elective facilities will not be specifically looking for abnormalities during the scan. However, if something stands out or doesn’t look right they will contact your doctor.
At Mother Nurture Ultrasound we also require that you are under the care of a physician or midwife before receiving our services.
Mother Nurture Ultrasound
803 39th Ave SW, Suite D
Puyallup, WA 98373